Monday 14 May 2012

What I have taken from related articles

Now as part of my progress in working towards writing my Inquiry plan and to inform me in what information is already out in society I researched in to related points that link to my inquiry, therefore I looked for related articles that had links to dance within education. 

I have found many articles on the world wide web that have provided me with much information on the topic of dance within education.  There were readings that have already been published but also information through the National Dance Teachers Association that had put online there 2010-2020 vision of Dance in Education in England, this took the format of a power point rather than a reading but I found it very informative with some information that they have concluded in relation to issues of Dance Within Education.  These informed me that there is limited funding and also that dance is more readily available with better resources in some schools but not all.  These statements can relate to the aspect of my inquiry where I would like to look in to the advantages and disadvantages that dance has within education. 

Regards to the development side of dance within the curriculum and how it has moved forward over all the years I found valuable information from Sanderson, 1996, Dance within the National Curriculum for Physical Education for England and Wales.  I learnt from this published article that dance was first introduced in 1909 but until the 1940's it consisted of European and folk dances.  Where as I can now compare this to how dance is being used within the curriculum at present from the Online Curriculum that states 'Dance in the Physical Education Curriculum encourages children to improve body management skills, to understand movement, to work with others and to develop creativity and imagination.'  With these two statements from these two articles/web links I can already see how dance has developed as a subject of Physical Education within schools, and I would like my inquiry to consider the way it has travelled and progressed through time and perhaps look at how it may continue moving forward.   

Another article I discovered that has provided information to myself that links to my inquiry that I wish to pursue in relation to advantages/benefits and also the disadvantages/negatives that can be experienced by the children whilst learning dance as a subject in Physical Education.  Gender issues were highlighted as an issue by an article published by Doug Risner, Critical Social Issues in Dance Education.  In this article it is highlighted how dance in european countries is seen to involve more females which has lead me to to move on to what I would like to consider is if there are any gender issues still present within dance in education. 

All that I have found has helped me for a basis of my research, and has given me more inspiration to take my inquiry further and develop my own findings of Dance within Education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment