Saturday 12 May 2012

Professional Ethics

Firstly what is Professional Ethics?
Now to help me understand Ethics let me first look at the meaning behind the word,

'Moral principles that govern a person’s behaviour or the conducting of an activity'.  (Oxford Dictionary Online)

And then to look at the word 'Professional'. 

'Relating to or belonging to a profession'.  (Oxford Dictionary Online)

Therefore professional ethics are moral principles that govern a person's behaviour relating to a profession. 

So with what I have taken from the definitions above, in my eyes ethics outline rules and regulations, codes of conduct for those in a specific environment/workplace.  Ethics is like a behaviour that is allowed within the environment however there are lines where this behaviour can be crossed, rules can be broken.  Professional ethics are there as rules to help a workplace/environment run smoothly and for colleagues to know how to conduct themselves on a day to day basis. 

Please add any comments and let me know what your definition of professional ethics is, or if you have anything to add to my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment