Friday 11 May 2012

Developing lines of Professional Inquiry

Ok so after reading the reader on developing lines of professional inquiries I thought it would be best to write a short blog on what information I gained from the Reader and the best bits I learnt to take forward during this module. 

Firstly all processes of Inquiries are forms of research that I can use further to investigate, explore, evaluate and understand my own professional inquiry.  Professional Inquiry is a type of approach to learning and this I can link to the areas that I covered during module 1.  It is an approach that acknowledges the central role of the individual to the whole learning process.  With myself being right in the middle of the Inquiry I need to choose a topic that is relevant to me, and the world that surrounds me, therefore it will benefit me, my colleagues, my work and other professionals.  With an inquiry relating to my work it will also help me, not just others to learn more about what I am doing whilst I am doing it.  Inquiry is a way to examine what I do to find the right questions to ask to lead me to a more in-depth understanding.  This form of learning will help me to engage with relevant problems, draw on existing knowledge, seek new evidence and then analyse and present my results/findings.  My inquiry should relate to my workplace, and the topic should be based on experiences I am involved in as a professional. Working on an inquiry within my professional practice will help develop my academic skills, as much as Work Based Learning. 

Professional inquiry is linked very much to work based learning.  Reflection should take place upon what goes on in my workplace and learning from experiences should lead to findings that can result in improvement of practice.  'Inquiry involves intent, a sense of purpose' (Judi Marshall 2001) along with questionning that should always remain open to help the inquiry to continue to develop, knowing and using this will help me to develop and find the perfect inquiry title for myself. 

Research and knowledge are both important as each other during my inquiry process.  With what I learnt about Work Based Learning in module 1, I now need to take forward and use this for my inquiry as there are many aspects of work based learning I can use in my inquiry to help me find my Inquiry topic and form my findings.  Within my own professional inquiry I will be expected to examine the knowledge and skills that are needed to be in my professional field. 

Knowledge itself is a complex idea and whilst my inquiry is ongoing I must remember that there are a range of concepts within knowledge and I must consider the different forms of knowledge.  Identifying the different kinds of knowledge will help me within my inquiry, during my inquiry and to progress me to my end results.  Now the reader has helped me to learn that within a workplace where my inquiry is going to take place that there are many different types of knowledge and these do not all fit nicely under one catogory/discipline.  Now the disciplines will provide particular frameworks through which to explore and understand and then move forward and use.  Disciplines can be conceived as 'tools for learning'  (Sayers 1948, in Burleigh 1973) so I need to learn to use these to my strengths as these disciplines can articulate problems, investigate problems, report on outcomes, all in all providing me with a wider rep of learning tools.  This is an advantage in a complex world.  Whilst I am doing my inquiry I need to consider 'inter-disciplinary' knowledge which is specific to me as I am in a world where there is more than one discipline that I am involved in, for example a dance teacher is trained in many forms of dance but also trained in teaching and education. 

Now there are many more facts and key points that I can take on from this reader, (I cannot blog them all)! to help me now plan my inquiry and come to one specific topic that I wish to pursue.  I will use knowledge from many areas that I have already gained and use this to look in to further areas I may wish to expand my knowledge on.  Identifying my own knowledge and skills in the workplace and looking at further knowledge to be explored can be part of the questionning process of professional inquiry.  Now I can look in to many questions that lie with in my field of work and consider what I would like to take forward as a question for my inquiry.  Using the information from the reader, the different lines of professional inquiry can help me to find my focus on my own line of inquiry I will follow. 

Please join me on my journey to finding my Inquiry!

No comments:

Post a Comment